Saturday, September 20, 2008

If the Romans knew that their Baths had become a shopping mall..

The photo majors all went to Bath and Lacock yesterday. We were rushed around from spot to spot and all in all, we were common tourists. I didn't much enjoy the experience.

Harry Potter was filmed in Lacock, this photo has nothing to do with that.

We went to Lacock first, which is pronounced lay-coq, and saw the Fox Talbot museum. Fox Talbot was the inventor of the negative/positive principle of photography and patented the process, charging the first photographers a royalty each time it was used. Really, he changed photography forever by inventing a powerful way to capture an image and fix it to be viewed later.

Roger Watson, curator of the Fox Talbot Museum talking to Syracuse University Photojournalism students

Bath, as a child, was a whimsical place where there were epic baths that reflected the light of the sun in the English countryside. Today, from what I can tell, it is little more than a shopping mall with a bit of history tucked in it. Modernized and getting more modern, this city has lost its romance and has hidden its most impressive feature between a Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream Parlor and a Topshop. This, in my opinion, is despicable.


In my defense, I was in a poor mood due to an assignment I felt was asinine. The city is quite nice if you find something to do besides shop. I hear that the Crescent, at the top of the hill, is amazing. I was too lazy to go find it.

Music I Like This Week:
Zoot Woman - Calmer
Pixies - Gouge Away
Alpha - Firefly
Arvo Pärt - Fratres for Eight Cellos
Spiritualized - Ladies And Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space

If I Were You I'd Pay Attention To:
Well Put, Matt Damon, Well Put
Pakistani Problems
10.6 Trillion is about to become 11.3 Trillion Reasons to Do Something

No comments: